How do I Maximize my Personal Injury Settlement?

If you have been injured in a car crash, your primary concern should be getting better. However, eventually, you are going to have to worry about paying the bills related to the accident, and somehow make up for the amount of money you have lost at work. You may also have wondered if you will receive any money for pain and suffering. 

New York is a no-fault state, which means that a person’s own insurance company is responsible for paying accident-related bills, no matter who is responsible for a crash. There are some exceptions to the no-fault rule. If you have suffered a bone fracture, paralysis or permanent disfigurement, you may be able to sue the at-fault driver. You should hire a law firm that employees trained New York Personal Injury Lawyers to represent you.

Insurance companies are often tight-fisted. Adjusters will do what they must to keep you from getting the money to which you are entitled. There are a few things you can do to ensure that everything goes smoothly with your insurance claim and will help you maximize the money you will receive.

What to do at the Scene of an Accident

When you are involved in any accident, you should always call the police and wait at the scene for an officer to arrive. Make sure to get the other driver’s contact information and the names and numbers of any witnesses at the scene. You should request a copy of the accident report from the investigating officer and take pictures of the vehicles if you are able.

Seeking Medical Attention 

You should seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident. Be sure to make copies of all of your medical bills and save the receipts from prescription and non-prescription medications that you purchase. You are required to submit proof of treatment to your insurance carrier no longer than 45 days after treatment.
Have your employer write you a letter stating the hours that you have missed from work due to your accident. If you are self-employed, write a letter yourself and make a copy of your previous year’s tax statements, and any other evidence you have of hours missed. You should save a copy of the bills for damages to your vehicle.
You may also want to save any documentation you have of any important life events you have missed due to an accident, such as receipts for airplane tickets.

Call Your Insurance Company

Be sure to call your insurance company soon after an accident. They will either accept or deny your claim. If they accept your claim, they will make you a settlement offer. If you accept the offer, they will have 60 days to pay you. However, before accepting any settlement offer, you should talk to a lawyer.

Hiring an Attorney

The attorney you choose to represent you should be well versed in New York’s personal injury law. They should have endorsements from previous clients and a stellar reputation with the state bar. An experienced lawyer will know how to negotiate with insurance companies. They will be able to make the arguments and present the evidence that will get you the money you deserve.
Authoritative Sources:


What Next?

Recent Articles